Friday 2 June 2017

Icing Allison - Pamela Burford


Icing Allison

What, Jane Delaney asks herself, could be better than skating on a frozen lake with sexy MartinMcAuliffe? After all, Martin’s thought of everything:
• Yummy picnic lunch, complete with the requisite hot chocolate? Check.
• Adorable, if slightly neurotic, canine sidekick? Check.
• Chainsaw (don’t ask)? Check.
• Frozen corpse? Dang!
And just when things were starting to get romantic!

The authorities decide Allison Zaleski’s death was an accident, but Death Diva Jane isn’t so sure. For starters, some of the wealthy young woman’s nearest and dearest had reason to want her out of the picture—her boy-toy husband and his greedy mistress for starters. But it isn’t until Jane discovers Allison’s secret video diary that the questions really start piling up. Such as: Who left a decapitated Barbie doll, altered to look like Allison, in her mailbox? And what, if anything, did Allison have to do with her first husband’s death?

My Review

I really enjoy the Jane Delaney Series, you can read my reviews of Uprooting Ernie and Perforating Pierre on this blog. Icing Allison is the forth book in the series and even though I didn't get my hands on an ARC this time, I was really keen to read it. If you haven't read any of the Jane Delaney series before, then you could certainly start with this one and be able to follow it fine. I would recommend going back to the beginning though and giving them all a go. The books do follow on, but work as stand alone stories too.

The story starts with Jane going for a picnic and skate on a frozen lake, with the yummy Martin. It isn't long before a dead body shows up and Jane finds herself in the middle of puzzle again. To begin with it looks as though Allison's death was an unfortunate accident, but as time goes on, it becomes clear to Jane that there's more to this than first meets the eye.

I was glad to see a bit more Martin in this one. I'm not sure why she's even still hung up on her ex-husband Dom. As for the French man she met in the last book? Non, merci. Martin may be a bit of bad boy, but it's clear that he's got Jane's best interests at heart.

I didn't manage to solve this one, although I had had a few suspicions about the murderer earlier on, I'd dismissed them right until the big reveal. I love these Jane Delaney stories and can't wait for the next one, especially if we're going to get even more Martin.




No comments:

Post a Comment