Saturday 18 March 2017

Triple Threat - A.K Leigh

I received an advance copy of this book from Netgalley. I thought that the idea of triplets working together to solve cold cases, with some romance thrown in, sounded like an interesting idea.

Triple Threat

They’re beautiful, accomplished, and they have identical interests...
Triple Threat by A.K. Leigh
In their spare time, identical triplets the Farris sisters work together to solve cold cases. Lizzie uses her skills as a Criminal Profiler, Nina her Scenes of Crime Officer experience, and Carrie assists through her work as a both a Forensic Scientist and Forensic Anthropologist.
Romantic and idealistic, Lizzie is picky about men. But despite the good-natured teasing of her sisters, she refuses to settle for anything less than ‘The One’. She loves her life, her job as both a profiler and a university lecturer, and her sisters, and won’t make changes for anything less. If that makes her unrealistic, then so be it. 
Gabe Montcoeur has just moved across Australia from Perth to Cairns and starts a job as a journalism teacher at Cairns University: the same university where Elizabeth Farris works. On the surface, the move seems innocent, but he has an ulterior motive. Gabe wants to elicit the aid of the Farris sisters in solving the murder of his family members, and the only way to circumvent their notorious ‘no contact’ policy is to reach out to them in person. 
But when Gabe meets Lizzie for the first time, the attraction is instantaneous — and mutual. The deeper they fall into each other, however, the more guilty Gabe feels about his real motivation for getting close. Lizzie wants the real deal, the one, true love — can Gabe ever offer her the future she deserves if he keeps holding on so tightly to the past?

My Review


I have to admit, that books that focus on twins, are not my favourite, I don't think that I've come across one about triplets before though. I think that if anyone else were writing it, I'd have the same concerns that I do with twins; using the usual twin cliches, using twins as an obvious plot device, only using twins because they are twins. If the author in question is a twin, then it's different, our author in this case is an identical triplet, so obviously, they have the insight to write from that perspective. 

There was a lot I liked about this book. The mix of crime novel and romance made for interesting reading, two of my favourite genres. I liked Gabe and Lizzie, I liked the way that their romance played out. The book is a quick read and quite short, so I did wonder if it would have been slightly better if there had been a bit more room for things to be developed a bit more. The romance happened quickly, despite their plans to take things slow. The mystery was cleared up fairly quickly too. I would have liked a little more time spent on both of these things.

This is the first book in a series of three, I'm not sure, but I would expect that the next books are going to focus on each of the other sisters as they find their man. I did think that the question of Gabe and Lizzie wasn't completely resolved in this book. (It's not that there's a cliffhanger, or that the question of their relationship was left up in the air, more that there's certainly room to find out what will happen next with them.) I'd be keen to read the next book in the series and find out where the story is going to go. I found this an enjoyable and entertaining read.

No comments:

Post a Comment