Sunday 3 January 2016

Murder in the North End - P.B.Ryan

Murder in the North End P,B. Ryan
I'm beginning to get towards the end of the Nell Sweeney mysteries now, Murder in the North End is book five, of the six book series. There has been a follow on book promised for a couple of years now, but at the moment certainly, there are just the six. It's always a bit sad when you know that you're getting close to the end of a series, especially one like this that I love so much, (even if I have read them all before).

This time we find Nell about to leave for Cape Cod with the rest of the Hewitt household, but on finding out that her friend, detective Colin Cook, is in trouble and wanted for murder, she decides to stay behind and try and help him. 

Left alone in the big Hewitt house, Nell feels a little exposed and with the ex-detective Skinner, now a lowly constable, certainly feeling anything but friendly towards her, Nell is probably putting herself in quite a bit of danger. It's some time since she last saw Will, after their parting at the end of the last book, so he isn't even there to look after her.

I don't want to give too much away here, but as this IS a Nell and Will book, so I would hope that I'm not spoiling things too much by saying that it isn't too long before he appears. The relationship that has been simmering away beneath the surface for so long in the previous books is as present and unresolved as ever, (especially after the events of the last book,) but you can't help but feel that we are about to reach a conclusion with it soon.

The mystery itself, is again pretty sound, I hadn't solved it the first time around before it was revealed, but it all worked without stretching things. If you've read my previous reviews, you'll know that I love this series though, so it's hardly surprising that I'd think that. 

One book left to go, which, I have to admit, will be following shortly, because although I've managed to spread the re-reading of these out a bit, this time round, I always end up moving straight onto the final book after reading Murder in the North End.

No comments:

Post a Comment