Monday 14 April 2014

The bittersweet passage of time

I love being a Mummy to small children, and although at least two of my children are now at school, I can't really imagine not having small children.  Don't get me wrong, I'm really looking forward to the next stages, seeing how they grow and change as time passes. There will always be a small part of me though, that wants to keep them as small children always, it's a bittersweet feeling, watching your children growing up.

The passage of time

When it comes to children, time really does seem to fly, and their birthday's highlight that time moving on.  Lena will be four in a week, I'm not sure quite how that happened, it only seems a few weeks ago that she was a tiny newborn baby.  As much as Lena ever seemed like a tiny newborn that is, she might be the smallest baby at 6lb 6oz, but she always has had a personality that's larger than life, and the look of someone who's been here before.

Bittersweet passage of time


She often tells me about when she was a big girl, or a Mummy and even the other day, when she used to be a cat, but I suspect that has more to do with her over-active imagination somehow.  Either way, four is nearly here, which means she's only a year from starting school.

Bittersweet

There are of course some advantages to the children getting older, as I said, I'm really looking forward to seeing what they children do and become as they get older, and the older they get the more that they are able to do with us and each other.  Just yesterday I was in the kitchen when I suddenly became suspicious that I couldn't see or hear Anja.  Anyone who's ever had a toddler in the house will no that silence usually means trouble.  I quickly had a look around, and found her having a lovely game of picnics in the hall way with her big sister.  A couple of months ago she wouldn't have dreamt of sitting down and playing with her sister, just a sign that she's getting older.

Children growing up

They're all growing up so quick, it really is bittersweet, the passage of time, but it's a lot of fun too.

No comments:

Post a Comment